What is the CDE?
The CDE (Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology) was established in 1994, with the view to introduce much needed higher levels of care for persons with diabetes mellitus in South Africa.
The CDE is the leading diabetes management solutions enterprise in South Africa.
Their mandate is to improve the health and the lives of people with diabetes through the provision of various formal diabetes management programmes, in partnership with medical aid schemes. The members of these schemes have the opportunity to join the CDE programmes at no cost, and when services are provided, there are no co-payments that are applied.
The following medical aids are contracted to the CDE:
CDE accredited Dietitian:
Quality assurance is an important component of the CDE programme and therefore all dietitians working with the CDE must complete a CDE accreditation course to ensure that they are fully equipped to nutritionally counsel patients with diabetes. The CDE programmes of care ensure that patients receive best possible care, based on recognised diabetes guidelines.
Mindful Eating’s Simone Constancon is a CDE accredited Dietitian:
As part of the CDE diabetes care programme benefits, patients are entitled to 1 consultation with a CDE accredited dietitian per a year.
Additional consultations can be done with cash and reimbursed through your medical aid.
How to become a member of the CDE diabetes care programme
If you are a member of a medical aid scheme that is contracted to the CDE (view list here – option restrictions may apply with some schemes), and you have diabetes, you can join the CDE Diabetes Management Programme.
- Download the Application Form here
- Please complete all sections on the Application Form (including your current clinical details, diabetes treatment and prescription details)
- Find a CDE Accredited Doctor in an area closest to you here (details of your preferred CDE doctor should be filled on the ‘Details of the doctor from whom you wish to receive your diabetes care’ section)
- Read the General Terms and Conditions
- Return the completed application form (only page 1, 2 and 7) directly to our Membership Department via email OR fax:
For further inquiries, do not hesitate to call us on 011 053-4400 (08h30-17h00, Monday to Friday)
CDE diabetes care programme benefits:
- Consultations with a CDE diabetes accredited doctor
- Diabetes education and mentoring
- Annual consultation with a CDE accredited dietician
- All the important laboratory tests for diabetes
- A blood glucose meter and strips for self-testing
- Diabetes medication, including all the latest diabetes therapies
- Diabetes specialist advice provided to your treating doctor
- Referral for foot screening (podiatrist)and eye screening (ophthalmologist)
- A 24 hour diabetes emergency hotline